does anyone even get on here anymore? this place is like an antiquated social media graveyard. seriously, are there any viable signs of life at all?
Watts47
For sure it is a shadow of it's former busy self
SmileyOfHumpalot
hell yeah it is. i remember back in 2005, there were well over 1 million active users. nowadays, if this site is lucky, there might be anywhere between 5 and 10. it's pretty much an antiquated social media graveyard at this point.
goofy60
hell yeah it is. i remember back in 2005, there were well over 1 million active users. nowadays, if this site is lucky, there might be anywhere between 5 and 10. it's pretty much an antiquated social media graveyard at this point.
Yep, pretty sad. Use to have a lot of fun on here. I still like the forums better than anything facebook has to offer.
Lady_Phoenix
All thats lacking is the funeral and head stone. Such a shame...
Iam WonderWoman
I would give anything back for the old mojo. The a**h*le who bought it destroyed itl
goofy60
I've often wondered if he would be willing to sell to the site to me or someone else. Then we could return it to someone local to the community and try to do something with it.
Catamount
There were several factors involved in making it a shell of its former self. I agree with WW that the current owner has fucked it up probably beyond repair (I still get a bitter chuckle whenever I read the home page message saying "We are currently fixing a few things, we should be ready in a few days," which has been there for a few years now).
But there was also the previous owner's dumbass decision to make it a pay site focused only on dating, and eliminate all the other forums.
And that decision was made just as Facebook and other social media were exploding. The highest-traffic forum here was Chit Chat, where people came to do just that, as well as flirt, flame, gossip, shame, and bully, and they all just went to FB where they can do that for free.
The second-highest traffic was in the Poli forum, where back in the Mojo heyday people mainly came to argue over the Iraq war. When that finally ended there was a steep drop-off, although the forum was still pretty lively through the 2012 election and for some time after.
And although Trump has divided the country even more than the Iraq war did, his supporters never showed up to defend him here like Bush's did.
Now, I imagine that people across the spectrum just hang out on sites where everyone agrees with them, and never hear a disagreeing voice. That's a shame, because what I liked about the Mojo forum was that people of differing views could debate each other, sometimes actually intelligently.
If anyone knows of such a site, please let me know. In the meantime, despite the dearth of posters, I still enjoy visiting the forum here and exchanging news and views with the handful of people still posting there whose input I value, such as goofy, Watts, and Gringo.
Last update on December 18, 8:35 am by Catamount.
Iam WonderWoman
Someone who is a computer wizard need to start up another sister like this. Hint, hint Dave. Heck I would even fork up some money. Somebody, anybody please!!!!!
~Silly Filly~
It's a very sad state of affairs here. This use to be my go to sight! Now it's my check every other week or so....
I'm not on face book.
I miss the old mojo sight.
Zen
It's a very sad state of affairs here. This use to be my go to sight! Now it's my check every other week or so....
I'm not on face book.
I miss the old mojo sight.
Been gone a long time how is everyone?
goofy60
Hi Zen
Pretty good. A few of us are still around :D
Nice to see someone else show up in here!
Last update on December 27, 12:41 am by goofy60.
El Gringo
There were several factors involved in making it a shell of its former self. I agree with WW that the current owner has fucked it up probably beyond repair (I still get a bitter chuckle whenever I read the home page message saying "We are currently fixing a few things, we should be ready in a few days," which has been there for a few years now).
But there was also the previous owner's dumbass decision to make it a pay site focused only on dating, and eliminate all the other forums.
And that decision was made just as Facebook and other social media were exploding. The highest-traffic forum here was Chit Chat, where people came to do just that, as well as flirt, flame, gossip, shame, and bully, and they all just went to FB where they can do that for free.
The second-highest traffic was in the Poli forum, where back in the Mojo heyday people mainly came to argue over the Iraq war. When that finally ended there was a steep drop-off, although the forum was still pretty lively through the 2012 election and for some time after.
And although Trump has divided the country even more than the Iraq war did, his supporters never showed up to defend him here like Bush's did.
Now, I imagine that people across the spectrum just hang out on sites where everyone agrees with them, and never hear a disagreeing voice. That's a shame, because what I liked about the Mojo forum was that people of differing views could debate each other, sometimes actually intelligently.
If anyone knows of such a site, please let me know. In the meantime, despite the dearth of posters, I still enjoy visiting the forum here and exchanging news and views with the handful of people still posting there whose input I value, such as goofy, Watts, and Gringo.
I'm just here to shitpost and maybe get a few ounces of lolcow milk to take back to Facebook
~Silly Filly~
Hey Zen, it's been a while. Wishing you a great 2018
[/quote]
M2
I joined Mojo in 2004.I was the 4,082th person,to have joined this site.By 2009,I had 23,717 hits.When Mojo sent out a message of charging a fee to be able to see new member's page,1,000's, left this site. It wasn't the same after 2009. I met so many people while active on here. Some of them I am still friends with & some I still date once-in-a-while.
M2
El Gringo,& Catamount,it's sad isn't it? I joined in 2004.I would be up till 3 or 4 a.m.,chatting on this site.I loved the Forums.There were topics just about for everyone.There was no "bullying," "name calling," "foul language," etc. (thanks to the administrators), because there was RESPECT, for those who made a statement,or gave an opinion. Five years later (2009),I moved on to another social site,& it's never been the same. I was missing the wit & the humor of my Mojo friends. For me & a lot of members, this was,as Zen put it,..."my go to site."
Last update on January 24, 7:24 pm by M2.
Catamount
El Gringo,& Catamount,it's sad isn't it? I joined in 2004.I would be up till 3 or 4 a.m.,chatting on this site.I loved the Forums.There were topics just about for everyone.There was no "bullying," "name calling," "foul language," etc. (thanks to the administrators), because there was RESPECT, for those who made a statement,or gave an opinion. Five years later (2009),I moved on to another social site,& it's never been the same. I was missing the wit & the humor of my Mojo friends. For me & a lot of members, this was,as Zen put it,..."my go to site."
I hear ya, M2, it's a sad loss of what was a vibrant and unique online community. As for the mods, there were good and bad ones, and they certainly kept foul language (i.e. profanity/swear words) in line. Bullying and name-calling, there actually was quite a bit of that, especially in the Chit Chat and Poli forums.
But most of that was OK, because everyone was a big boy/girl or expected to be one, and not go whining to the mods every time their feewings got hurt and demand the dismemberment of whoever it was that they felt had wronged them so horribly. While there were an unfortunate few who did just that (a lot), most people, as you said, treated others with respect and acted like grown-ups for the most part. In fact, I ended up making friends with several people I used to debate vigorously with in the Poli forum.
In today's hyper-polarized world, that seems like something that could not possibly happen. But it did, not all that long ago, here on Mojo. It was a special place and I'm sad to witness its demise.
Jax Rhapsody
I do miss the old mojo. There actually used to be sister sites. I miss the old layout, we might have complained sometimes but it did work...looking at it now...it was pretty close to perfect. Mostly I miss all of you guys and wish over my years of membership I could have made closer friends with you all. That was the main reason I was so adament about the coffee days. When I was younger, Mojo was a big part of my life. I also felt some kinda way because I'm like one of the youngest members of the most active and I guess alumnus...?
Jax Rhapsody
I do miss the old mojo. There actually used to be sister sites. I miss the old layout, we might have complained sometimes but it did work...looking at it now...it was pretty close to perfect. Mostly I miss all of you guys and wish over my years of membership I could have made closer friends with you all. That was the main reason I was so adament about the coffee days. When I was younger, Mojo was a big part of my life. I also felt some kinda way because I'm like one of the youngest members of the most active and I guess alumnus...?
I'm going to be thirty this year.
Catamount
I'm going to be thirty this year.
Nice to hear from you, Jax. I always enjoyed your posts back in the day. (I went by El Gato Loco then.)
goofy60
I miss the coffee's too and always tried to make it to them.
Sometime I wish we could get people showing up here again. But I doubt it will happen. Part of the charm was it as a local thing with local charm and events. Now its more of just another site with nothing much that makes it stand out or special.
Siempre
We definitely need a get-together, an activity, or something. The Mojo Railbird group had a lot of fun meeting at Churchill Downs and the old Sports Spectrum to play the horses.
Also, that "We're making a few repairs message" on the front page gives people the impression that the site is down. Proceeding to the forums (or anywhere else) from there is like pulling back a sheet of plywood to enter a nightclub.
goofy60
We definitely need a get-together, an activity, or something. The Mojo Railbird group had a lot of fun meeting at Churchill Downs and the old Sports Spectrum to play the horses.
Also, that "We're making a few repairs message" on the front page gives people the impression that the site is down. Proceeding to the forums (or anywhere else) from there is like pulling back a sheet of plywood to enter a nightclub.
A get together would be great if we can drum up enough people. May have to reach out to some other old mojo's on crapbook.
El Gringo
A get together would be great if we can drum up enough people. May have to reach out to some other old mojo's on crapbook.
Use the Mojo Facebook page to broadcast.
Catamount
Use the Mojo Facebook page to broadcast.
The irony of that sentence is both brutal and beautiful.
Siempre
Last year I posted the Waterfront Wednesday concerts as they came up but had little response. May do it again this year as it's free and fairly accessible. YEAH, WATERFRONT WEDNESDAYS, YO!
goofy60
Last year I posted the Waterfront Wednesday concerts as they came up but had little response. May do it again this year as it's free and fairly accessible. YEAH, WATERFRONT WEDNESDAYS, YO!
When do they start? Please do post them. I just may have to make it to some.
Siempre
The first one should be the last Wednesday of April. I'll keep an eye out.
I wasted countless hours on the old Mojo.
Iam WonderWoman
Why would you buy something and then destroy it? I don't understand this .
El Gringo
Why would you buy something and then destroy it? I don't understand this .
Ask the President. He does that with all his investments, and probably his toys as well.
Catamount
Ask the President. He does that with all his investments, and probably his toys as well.
Including his female "toys," i.e. victims.
El Gringo
Including his female "toys," i.e. victims.
Five months later, I still got nothing for this one.
#slayed
goofy60
Yep, pretty much beyond dead around here.
As far as his toys goes, he probably breaks a lot of them. At least the ones that don't run away.
Bigrich1980
Man, its saddening to see just what this place has become... it was soo much fun back in the day... I even remember the original chat room it had at the beginning... why would they kill such a hopping site?